[OpenStack Foundation] Individual director election needs to be better organized

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Sep 5 15:31:53 UTC 2012

Sean Chen wrote:
> I think individual directors should be voted by contributors only, or
> at least people with some sort of involvement with OpenStack.
>
> There was no doorman on voter registration, the results can be much
> too easily skewed to be unrepresentative of the rights and interests
> of the actual people involved.

I agree that the results can be easily skewed with the current open door
policy. That said, that's what the Foundation bylaws mandate (low bar of
entry for Foundation members), so changing that now will probably
require a substantial change in Foundation bylaws.

> In fairness, Project Technical Lead election was much better organized.

In fairness, PTL and Technical Committee elections are a lot simpler to
organize. It's relatively easy to determine "who contributes code/doc to
a project" or "who is a technical contributor", given that we have hard
data on that. It's much more difficult to determine the list of people
"with some sort of involvement with OpenStack".

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack