[OpenStack Foundation] Proposals for individual board election

Matt Joyce matt at nycresistor.com
Wed Oct 31 18:15:56 UTC 2012

I think Tim has a point.  Not everyone who contributes to OpenStack
does so as a developer.  Some of the most important input we get are
from deployers who are not contributing code.  While I am definitely
an advocate for enforcing a higher barrier to entry in the foundation
membership, I also do not wish to deny a voice to some of the most
important people in the community.

To be honest, I think a foundation membership yearly fee is the right
answer.  Maybe something as informal as an EFF membership, where you
pay 100 dollars for a t-shirt / membership.

While it's possible that a company will cover the costs of a
foundation membership, it's easy enough to forbid corporate
sponsorship of foundation members.  And at that point the risk
outweighs the reward in terms of violating that.

If someone truly is committed to the OpenStack community they should
be willing to invest invest a small sum into supporting the
foundation.  While I like the heinlein-esque service guarantees
citizenship approach, I'd think service is too diverse a term to be
easily measured.  Financial contributions do well to raise the bar.

We could easily drop the price down a great deal for anyone
registering with a .edu email address for educational discounts.

An alternative model is the operate similar to the CISSP and allow
people who pass an as yet to be defined certification to vote for the
board.  If we intend to have a foundation approved educational
curriculum this could be an option for promoting that.

-Matt