[OpenStack Foundation] Openness and the OpenStack Foundation

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Fri Oct 19 20:24:23 UTC 2012

Thanks for spotting it: this level of attention is what will help the
Foundation avoid mistakes.

On 10/15/2012 05:17 AM, Steven Noble wrote:
> Can someone explain how this change fits with the Foundations
> statements on Openness?

Openness is a balancing act. The myth of the 'fully transparent
organization' much like the 'glass man' that the Nazis liked so much
(the man that is fully transparent because he has nothing to hide) is a
dangerous myth. The details of some discussions, like the selection of
people to hire, should IMHO never be made public (only the results of
that selection should). I wouldn't want to have the reasoning of a
failure to get a job to be put online forever archived in the never
forgetting web. Same goes for discussions about new members, IMHO: only
private conversation will allow the board to express all of their
concerns, including the ones that may damage them if made public. The
right to privacy is a good thing for democracy.

Like any right it *can* be abused: our job is to keep the board balanced
and fair, balancing the principles of openness and transparency with the
right to protect the members of the board (and the Foundation itself).

That said, I hope to see the rationale for the changes made to the
bylaws published and defended by the board.

/stef

--
this is my opinion and not that of my current, former and even future
employers