[OpenStack Foundation] Board Meeting - October 15th

Jonathan Bryce jonathan at openstack.org
Thu Oct 18 01:06:23 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

Since it takes us a few weeks to turn around the official minutes, I wanted to share a short summary from the Board meeting Monday. We met Monday at the Summit, from 11:00 am to a little past 5:00 pm. You can see the full planned agenda here: http://wiki.openstack.org/Governance/Foundation/15Oct2012BoardMeeting

We were not able to get to all items, but did cover a number of different topics. We started with an antitrust review from legal counsel and then talked about improving some of the Board meeting procedures so Board meetings are effective and we can produce minutes and summaries more efficiently. We went through a number of procedural approvals. Mark Collier and I did a management update and briefly touched on some plans for the next year ahead, primarily around encouraging user adoption, continuing to involve users, supporting the development of the software and educating the market. After that we reviewed Gold Member candidate applications and finally did a finance review with a few additional Board finance approvals.

Decisions that were made:
- Approved the minutes from the September 18th Board call (http://wiki.openstack.org/Governance/Foundation/18Sept2012BoardMinutes)
- Approved Thierry Carrez as the Technical Committee Chair, as recommended by the Technical Committee
- Appointed Brad Haque (SUSE), Alice King (Rackspace), Steve Pentlicki (ATT), Andrew Sinclair (Canonical), and Nissa Strottman (HP) to the Legal Committee
- Approved the Creative Commons CC-BY license for the documentation and content license going forward
- Approved an updated signing authority policy, an accounting firm for the Foundation and the budget for the remainder of 2012
- Approved eNovance's application to become a Gold Member of the Foundation (see also http://wiki.openstack.org/Governance/Foundation/PotentialMemberCriteria)

We were not able to get to all of the discussion topics, but will be scheduling a follow-up remote meeting in the next few weeks to continue those discussion items and review and approve the 2013 budget.

We are hoping to speed up the approval process for the official meeting minutes this time around, but it will still likely take a couple of weeks to produce the minutes and get all approvals. We will let everyone know when the minutes are posted to the wiki and when follow on meetings are scheduled. Feel free to reach out to me or Alan with any questions. Thanks,

Jonathan
210-317-2438