[OpenStack Foundation] Board Meeting - October 15th

Tristan Goode tristan at aptira.com
Sun Oct 14 00:11:08 UTC 2012

There's been many interesting ideas raised on this list about the individual member elections, and I've proposed to Alan and Jonathan that there be some discussion at the Board meeting.

Lloyd's suggestion that the 2 affiliate rule become 1 affiliate is worth considering because there are so many other individuals and companies involved with OpenStack. This might also mature the Foundation by moving the concentration of representation from the founding community towards a wider community. Like a child growing up and spreading its wings, seeking to make its own way in the world,  OpenStack is ready for new associations.

Soren's suggestions are innovative, for example, not being able to vote for your own company. With his other suggestion in mind, perhaps in addition to platinum, even gold member companies with a seat could be excluded.

Discussion of the voting of the companies with many members is always going to be a delicate issue. De facto, this can become an unintentional 'crowding out' such that the result is not truly representative of the wider constituency. Is this what we all want to see? I think not.

Further ideas are the imposition of qualification for membership; or a membership fee (scaled to not exclude developing nations).

Mark's suggestions that we learn from others like GNOME, the membership committee, and several people have raised members making a public statement, more worthwhile considerations?

There are likely other suggestions that I've missed in these busy past few weeks.

As the reach of OpenStack extends across the globe, (I see how many more international user groups there are now since the Australian user group started a year ago), it's going to become important to have a good international representation on the Board. Also, and perhaps more imperative, is that we take the summits and meetings on the road.

Presently, by my calculation, of the 24 (Members??) there's 5 of us from countries outside the US, 4 individuals and 1 gold. This is not really representative of the emerging community.

National elections in Germany, New Zealand and other countries have moved away from the "first past the post" system that exists now in the Foundation due to identified inadequacies in proper representation. Adoption of a more democratic scheme of election there has not caused the sky to fall on their heads.

The ideal goal of an election is that it is truly representative.

Cheers
Tristan

PS.
Not on this topic but while we're discussing the internationalisation of Openstack, @mikal suggested a great idea to me yesterday. A sponsored travel program could be introduced for people whose location is more remote and who are significantly contributing to code. They may be independent or perhaps work for companies that cannot, or will not, send them to summits.