[OpenStack Foundation] [Foundation Board] Use of the word "certified" and protecting brand OpenStack

Lloyd Dewolf lloydostack at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 16:36:39 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 12:47 AM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-10-11 at 16:15 -0600, Alan Clark wrote:
> > Using such mechanisms ensure the proper enforcement of our marks while
> > allowing the community to productively focus on and/or evolve the
> > standing trademark policy and procedures while avoiding community
> > strife and ill will through an onslaught of opinions towards any one
> > person(s) or companies.
>
> That there is a mechanism in place does not mean that some we should
> discourage open debate amongst Foundation members about how we like to
> see our brand used and promoted.
>
> I don't see this thread as "community strife and ill will" or "an
> onslaught of opinions". I think most of the opinions offered were
> actually totally reasonable and measured.
>
> Sure, the initial tone Tristan used may have been a little over the top
> and there wasn't enough assumption of good intent, but let's put that
> down to folks being passionate about OpenStack.
>
> Put it another way - individual directors are elected to serve the
> individual members. This mailing list is a great way (and maybe the only
> way) for individual directors to get input from the members they
> represent.

Agreed all around.

In fairness to Tristen, Rackspace is uniquely positioned to spark
collaboration on curriculum and certification -- huge  opportunity to
correct course on. Also, Rackspace has had at least three (high profile)
accidents related to (their own) published OpenStack Trademark Guidelines
in the last year.

Best regards,
Lloyd
--