[OpenStack Foundation] [Foundation Board] Use of the word "certified" and protecting brand OpenStack

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Fri Oct 12 07:47:25 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-10-11 at 16:15 -0600, Alan Clark wrote:
> Using such mechanisms ensure the proper enforcement of our marks while
> allowing the community to productively focus on and/or evolve the
> standing trademark policy and procedures while avoiding community
> strife and ill will through an onslaught of opinions towards any one
> person(s) or companies.

That there is a mechanism in place does not mean that some we should
discourage open debate amongst Foundation members about how we like to
see our brand used and promoted.

I don't see this thread as "community strife and ill will" or "an
onslaught of opinions". I think most of the opinions offered were
actually totally reasonable and measured.

Sure, the initial tone Tristan used may have been a little over the top
and there wasn't enough assumption of good intent, but let's put that
down to folks being passionate about OpenStack.

Put it another way - individual directors are elected to serve the
individual members. This mailing list is a great way (and maybe the only
way) for individual directors to get input from the members they
represent.

Cheers,
Mark.