[OpenStack Foundation] [Foundation Board] Use of the word "certified" and protecting brand OpenStack

Jonathan Bryce jonathan at openstack.org
Fri Oct 12 00:25:44 UTC 2012

We sent notice to Rackspace when we saw the incorrect usage in the promotional email. They said the language in the email was a mistake and are taking action by educating their marketing teams and public speakers to use the OpenStack wordmark in accordance with the policies. Our standard process is to notify companies and then give them a remedy period to correct their usage. If violations continue, then a company risks losing its right to use the marks and ultimately may face legal action. I know several of you are familiar with this process as you've received similar communications from us.

We handle a fairly high number of these, but since this one has generated public discussion, I just wanted to confirm that we have been following our standard procedure to ensure trademark compliance. Let me know if you have any questions,

Jonathan
210-317-2438