[OpenStack Foundation] Board Meeting - October 15th

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Oct 11 12:51:33 UTC 2012

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>> I'd like to see OpenStack Foundation adopt a policy it should have
>> adopted at the outset. Limit Board representation to a single
>> individual from an affiliated entity, period.
>
> That's certainly one view. My view is that the foundation board would
> benefit from the input of affiliated directors who are explicitly
> representing the individual members rather than their employer.

+1

> In an perfect world, I'd like to see no limit to affiliated individual
> directors and trust the individual members to choose directors they can
> trust to act on their behalf. The limit is there to prevent the
> appearance of a company dominating the board, not because affiliated
> directors can't be trusted to represent the individual members rather
> than their employer.

Agreed: the "individual directors" tier is not there to add more
diversity to the set of companies being represented, it is there to
represent the individual members, a significant portion of which will
work for companies that already own a seat in the other two tiers.

So I think the "two directors" limit is a good trade-off: it allows any
individual member (including those that happen to work for a company
that owns a seat) to run for election, while providing a safeguard to
avoid undue board control by a single company.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)