[OpenStack Foundation] Board Meeting - October 15th

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Thu Oct 11 11:08:10 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-10-11 at 08:41 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
>  + possible changes to election rules; the election statistics published
>    last week triggered some discussion about what some people see as a
>    flaw in how things are currently set up:
>    http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/foundation/2012-October/001114.html
>
>    There were several ideas raised before the elections in August to at
>    least mitigate this flaw, but we couldn't implement them because it
>    was too late. I really want to get this improved for the next
>    elections, and I think it's safe to assume I'm not the only one :-)

Good point. To make the discussion easier for the board, here's an
attempt to summarize the positions taken on the thread:

  1) The "2 seats per company" limit did its job and limited the
     damage.

  2) We should use a different voting method like Condorcet because it
     allows voters to express which candidates they like least which
     partially offsets the effect of a large block of voters.

  3) Increase the barrier to entry for Foundation members by e.g.
     requiring them to make a public statement of their interest in
     Openstack or having a membership committee which openly vets
     applications

  4) Reduce the number of directors allowed to be affiliated with a
     single company from two to one

  5) Introduce a membership subscription charge

My own preference is (3) and (2) sounds plausible except that I haven't
taken the time to fully understand how Condorcet.

Cheers,
Mark.