[OpenStack Foundation] Individual Member Election Statistics

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Wed Oct 3 16:14:37 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 4:39 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>wrote:

> > We need to discuss how to
> > raise the bar of membership entry just enough to improve that.
>
> Alternatively (or additionally), we could switch to Condorcet, which is
> an election method that specifically does not fill the proportionality
> criteria. 30% of voters won't give you anything, especially if the other
> 70% don't like you that much.
>
> It would favor consensus candidates, which in this case (individual
> member election) could be a good idea.

I'm not an election system scholar, so please forgive what may be a naive
question.

I've looked at a couple of descriptions of Condorcet, and I don't see any
reason not to use it but I also don't see how it helps solve the problem of
a disproportionate number of foundation members being affiliated with a
small number of corporate entities. Is there an example or explanation of
using a Condorcet system to address this type of issue that you can refer
me to, or maybe you could summarize how you see it helping briefly? Perhaps
there is just some inherent feature of Condorcet systems that I'm not
grokking based on the reading I've done so far.

Thanks,
Doug