[OpenStack Foundation] Individual Member Election Statistics

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Tue Oct 2 22:06:53 UTC 2012

On 10/02/2012 01:29 PM, Matt Joyce wrote:
> The question that remains however, is...
>
>  Are the foundation elections being manipulated?

I would like to understand why you're asking such unfair question. Do
you think that people got elected without deserving their seat? If you
think this is the case, please speak up: you can talk to Jonathan or to
the Foundation's lawyer.

The thing is that the Foundation was designed to have very little
barrier to entry for Individual members. With such design, of course
large corporations will have more members and of course they will vote
for their colleagues, if nothing else because those are names they
recognise.

With such design, the Foundation has put in place checks and balances
*after* the joining process to avoid giving too much power to Platinum
sponsors and corporations in general. Like all systems, it can be
improved but we need to at least make it run a few times before saying
it's broken.

I'd like to bring the focus on the people that have been elected, help
them do the interests of the category they've been elected to represent.
If they do then we can stop the speculations around OpenStack and the
power of its corporate members (there are quite a few haters out there
that do that job nicely already). If they don't, then we have tools in
the bylaws to remove them.

/stef