[OpenStack Foundation] Individual Member Election Statistics

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Tue Oct 2 15:37:55 UTC 2012

Before the election, the issue of influence of corporate entities in
the individual member election was raised.  As a result, the election
inspectors agreed it would be beneficial to analyze the election
results to help quantify the role employers played in the election.
While each vote is anonymous, the affiliates that each Individual
Member specified when applying for Foundation Membership was recorded
with the vote.  That stated affiliation is the basis for the analysis
below.  We are not drawing any conclusions in this report, rather we
are attempting to present the information relevant to the questions
asked prior to the election.  We hope the community finds this useful
in discussions on how to move forward.

Keep in mind that the affiliation field is free-form and not verified,
and members may have provided incorrect or unusable data.  For
instance, it is apparent that some people misinterpreted the field,
needlessly providing multiple affiliations, affiliations that clearly
don't match the criteria specified on the form, or just plain
non-sequiturs.  Therefore the numbers below should be close to
reality, but may not be exact.

The following table lists the election results for the top 11
candidates, including the weighted vote (the sum of all the votes cast
for that candidate), the percent of the total weighted vote which was
cast for that candidate, the number of voters who individually cast at
least part of their vote for that candidate, and the percentage of the
total voters who cast at least part of their vote for that candidate.

                 Results for top 11 Candidates
+----------------------+----------+-----------+--------+---------+
|         Name         | Weighted | %Weighted | Voters | %Voters |
+----------------------+----------+-----------+--------+---------+
| Rob Hirschfeld       | 2195.00  |  14.57 %  |  510   | 26.74 % |
| Monty Taylor         | 1968.25  |  13.06 %  |  370   | 19.40 % |
| Hui Cheng            | 1712.12  |  11.36 %  |  336   | 17.62 % |
| Joseph George        | 1364.38  |   9.05 %  |  388   | 20.35 % |
| Yujie Du             |  732.25  |   4.86 %  |  193   | 10.12 % |
| Troy Toman           |  669.12  |   4.44 %  |  208   | 10.91 % |
| Anne Gentle          |  558.12  |   3.70 %  |  265   | 13.90 % |
| Thierry Carrez       |  429.38  |   2.85 %  |  235   | 12.32 % |
| Tim Bell             |  427.75  |   2.84 %  |  236   | 12.38 % |
| Tristan Goode        |  422.00  |   2.80 %  |  122   |  6.40 % |
| Jesse Andrews        |  414.12  |   2.75 %  |  205   | 10.75 % |
+----------------------+----------+-----------+--------+---------+

The following table lists the sources of votes for the top 11
candidates classified by the employer of the voter.  Four categories
are listed; the first, "%Employer", is the percentage of voters for
that candidate with the same employer as the candidate.  The second,
"%Major", is the percentage of voters from a "major" employer, which
is to say an employer that was specified by at least 5 voters overall
(there are about 20 "major" employers in the data set by this
calculation).  The third, "%Minor", is the percentage from a "minor"
employer, i.e., one specified by less than 5 individuals.  The last,
"%None", is the percentage who listed no affiliation.

              Source of Votes for Top 11 Candidates
+----------------+-----------+-----------+--------+--------+-------+
|      Name      |  Employer | %Employer | %Major | %Minor | %None |
+----------------+-----------+-----------+--------+--------+-------+
| Rob Hirschfeld | Dell      |    86 %   |   5 %  |   4 %  |   5 % |
| Monty Taylor   | HP        |    75 %   |   9 %  |   9 %  |   6 % |
| Hui Cheng      | SINA      |           |        |  27 %  |  52 % |
| Joseph George  | Dell      |    88 %   |   5 %  |   3 %  |   4 % |
| Yujie Du       | 99cloud   |           |        |  28 %  |  54 % |
| Troy Toman     | Rackspace |    76 %   |  12 %  |   6 %  |   6 % |
| Anne Gentle    | Rackspace |    39 %   |  28 %  |  23 %  |   9 % |
| Thierry Carrez | Rackspace |    34 %   |  32 %  |  21 %  |  13 % |
| Tim Bell       | CERN      |           |        |  25 %  |  11 % |
| Tristan Goode  | Aptira    |           |        |  24 %  |   9 % |
| Jesse Andrews  | Nebula    |           |        |  27 %  |  14 % |
+----------------+-----------+-----------+--------+--------+-------+
      [Some values have been omitted to preserve anonymity.]

The following table shows how voters who identified as affiliates of
"major" employers (see above) voted.  Only the "major" employers with
at least 50 affiliated voters and at least 10% of their affiliates
voting for at least one candidate employed by the subject employer are
listed to preserve anonymity.

The first column after the name of the organization indicates the
number of voters claiming affiliation with that organization.  Three
percentages are then listed: the first, "%Only Affiliated" is the
percentage of those voters who voted only for candidates employed by
their affiliate organization.  The second, "%Including Affiliated", is
the percentage who voted for at least one candidate employed by their
affiliate organization.  The third, "%Non Affiliated" is the
percentage who did not vote for any employee of their affiliate
organization.

                     How Affiliates Voted
|           |   Number   |   %Only    | %Including |    %Non    |
|    Name   | Affiliated | Affiliated | Affiliated | Affiliated |
| Dell      |    470     |    81 %    |    97 %    |     3 %    |
| HP        |    304     |    55 %    |    91 %    |     9 %    |
| Rackspace |    244     |    25 %    |    85 %    |    15 %    |