[OpenStack Foundation] Board discussing how to improve the Individual Director election process, community input wanted

Lloyd Dewolf lloydostack at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 05:01:52 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 4:56 AM, Vincent Untz <vuntz at suse.com> wrote:
> Le lundi 19 novembre 2012, à 11:11 +0000, Tim Bell a écrit :
>> From my reading of the bylaws
>> (http://wiki.openstack.org/Governance/Foundation/Bylaws), my understanding is
>> that the voters have to be registered for at least 180 days as a member before
>> the election. This is different from the previous round where there was a 30
>> day limit after the start of the foundation.
>>
>> The nominees for individual member directors seem to have to be individual
>> members in good standing.
>>
>> -------
>>
>> 3.9 Voting and Proxies.
>>
>> (a) Each Individual Member whose effective date of membership is earlier than
>> thirty (30) days after the effective date of the filing of the Certificate of
>> Incorporation of the Foundation ("COI Effective Date") may vote immediately
>> after he or she becomes an Individual Member. Each Individual Member whose
>> effective date of membership is more than thirty (30) days after the COI
>> Effective Date shall be eligible to vote 180 days after the effective date of
>> his or her membership. Each Individual Member shall have one vote at any
>> meeting of Individual Members and for election of the Individual Directors,
>> the Individual Members shall have the option to vote for Individual Directors
>> on a cumulative basis.
>
> Thanks, Tim! I had forgotten about that part of the by-laws.
>
> For those wondering when 180 days before the voting period is, that's
> July 18th 2012. As the initial call for individuals to join the
> Foundation was issued on July 19th, I guess only people who became
> member in the 30 days after the COI Effective Date will be able to vote
> in January.
>
> (I can't find the COI Effective Date, but I assume it's July 16th, since
> people could join until August 15th to be able to participate in the
> first elections)

Related: http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/foundation/2012-November/001235.html

I'm still surprised that the Foundation set a precedence for a call
for membership before the first election, but failed to address that
it was actually last chance to participate for 2013, the 1st full
year.

Best regards,
--
@lloyddewolf