[OpenStack Foundation] Board discussing how to improve the Individual Director election process, community input wanted

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Nov 19 09:04:49 UTC 2012

Steven Noble wrote:
> On Nov 18, 2012, at 8:42 AM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> wrote:
>> I'm disappointed by the fact that bylaws changes were ruled out, but I
>> get it. I also think you guys did a good job of capturing the ideas that
>> were discussed on the mailing list. The result isn't the issue, it's the
>> process.
>
> From the way that the board changed the bylaws in their second meeting to exclude all non board members from understanding or being able to even observe discussions about applying companies, I am surprised there are any issues changing the bylaws.

To be fair, some sections of the bylaws are more difficult to change
than others (see article 9), and most sections defining how the board is
built and voted in are protected by a special vote... which takes a bit
of time to organize.

Personally I regret that the Board was short on time to better address
this, but I primarily blame the crazy election calendar.

>> In retrospect what I really find odd is the way we have a bunch of
>> engaged, constructive and interested people actively discussing ideas on
>> the mailing list. Then a completely different group goes off and
>> discusses ideas privately and, a month later, comes back with a
>> conclusion giving the original group mere days to give feedback.
>
> How I see it is simple: Make the community feel involved but protect the power of the board by not including the community in discussions where the community can add significant and possibly upsetting ideas.

Platinum directors represent their company, Gold directors represent the
set of Gold members... The rest of the community is represented by
Individual directors. Those don't get their board seat to represent
their company or themselves. They are elected to voice the opinion of
the rest of us and involve us.

I see it as one of the Individual directors responsibility to make sure
that the wider community opinions are represented and that we all have
access to the information. I'd expect them to have opposed the closing
of sections of the board meetings, and have them actively engage with
the mailing-list to make sure our opinion is represented.

One thing to keep in mind for the upcoming elections, I guess.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)