[OpenStack Foundation] Board discussing how to improve the Individual Director election process, community input wanted

Jonathan Bryce jonathan at openstack.org
Fri Nov 16 22:48:39 UTC 2012

As Alan announced in his email below, the Foundation Board met today to discuss the four options mentioned below. The agenda was drafted on the wiki: http://wiki.openstack.org/Governance/Foundation/16Nov2012BoardMeeting

The meeting lasted only an hour from 9:00am PST to 10:00am PST. The Board reviewed progress of preparations for the 2013 Board election schedule (schedule included below) and then held a discussion on the options in Alan's previous email. The first three options are being implemented prior to the opening of nominations on November 26th. On the fourth option concerning changing the cumulative voting mechanism, the Board decided not to make any changes due to the short timeframe before the election, the lack of clear consensus on appropriate changes and the desire to obtain additional outside input and advice on possible changes. These changes will be considered for future elections.

The Board approved the minutes from the November 2nd meeting (http://wiki.openstack.org/Governance/Foundation/02Nov2012BoardMinutes) and then adjourned.

The schedule for the 2013 Board elections is as follows:
- November 26: Individual Member nominations open, election section of openstack.org goes live with details on process and candidates
- December 7: Individual Member nominations close
- December 14: Deadline for Individual Member Nominees to complete application
- January 3: Gold Director Selector Election
- January 14: Individual Member Elections open
- January 18: Individual Member Elections close

Thanks,

Jonathan