[OpenStack Foundation] Proposals for individual board election

Soren Hansen soren at linux2go.dk
Mon Nov 5 09:12:52 UTC 2012

2012/11/1 Alan Clark <aclark at suse.com>:
> I agree with Stefano's assessment, let's not kill one of the founding
> strengths of our community "before there is proof that openness and
> easy access is bad for OpenStack".

I hope you're not proposing we wait until someone actually succesfully
coups the board before discussing how we can prevent this from happening?

The OpenStack foundation bylaws are a tremendous body of legal documents
describing processes, rules, etc. trying to take everything into account
*before* it becomes an issue. I don't understand this reluctance to
apply the same due diligence to our election procedures.

I think it's worth considering if we got a sound result from the
election *because* of the election rules we have or if we got sound a
sound result *in spite* of the election rules we have.

Having sound results from the election is no indication that we've got
it all worked out. A perfectly fair election, a random draw, a decree
from the executive director, etc. could all produce the same result.
However, the only way to ensure *consistently* sound results, is to have
a sound process.

--
Soren Hansen             | http://linux2go.dk/
Senior Software Engineer | http://www.cisco.com/