[OpenStack Foundation] [Openstack] Foundation Structure: An Alternative

Mark Collier mark at openstack.org
Fri Mar 16 14:44:19 UTC 2012

+1

From:  Doug Hellmann <doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com>
Date:  Fri, 16 Mar 2012 10:16:55 -0400
To:  Jim Jagielski <jimjag at gmail.com>
Cc:  <foundation at lists.openstack.org>
Subject:  Re: [OpenStack Foundation] [Openstack] Foundation Structure: An
Alternative

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 9:58 AM, Jim Jagielski <jimjag at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I think you're overestimating the power of the Foundation board of
>> > directors over the "open source projects". The current proposal sets up
>> > a separate and independent technical committee, which I'm trying to make
>> > sure is fully elected on a one contributor = one vote basis. Each
>> > project is lead by a technical lead that is elected on a one author =
>> > one vote basis. Those groups very much set the course and direction for
>> > the projects.
>> >
>> > So the technical direction of OpenStack as a whole, and the technical
>> > direction of each project, is very much *not* pay-to-play. It's
>> > participate-to-play.
>> >

> Then what does the foundation board get out of it...?
>
> What's wrong with making the tech-cmmt the actual board, and the
> proposed foundation board simply "sponsors"?
> Or "benefactors"?

There are a lot of different ways to contribute to a big project like this.
Over at the PSF we have found it very useful to have a separate foundation
and board made up of people from the community who have an interest in
supporting the general python community in ways that go beyond writing code.
The skills (and interests) needed to organize events such as hack days,
meetups, and conferences and especially deal with subjects like copyright
and trademark enforcement do not overlap 100% with the skills (and
interests) of the core developers. The PSF, and its board, provide a focus
for soliciting and receiving contributions of all sorts from *everyone* in
the Python community. I would expect the OpenStack Foundation to serve a
similar purpose in this community.

Doug

Foundation at lists.openstack.org