[OpenStack Foundation] [Openstack] Foundation Structure: An Alternative

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Mar 16 13:22:54 UTC 2012

Jim Jagielski wrote:
> OpenStack will turn into a business consortium made up of large,
> well-financed companies, who will determine the course and direction
> of the so-called "open source projects" and unless you're able to pay

I think you're overestimating the power of the Foundation board of
directors over the "open source projects". The current proposal sets up
a separate and independent technical committee, which I'm trying to make
sure is fully elected on a one contributor = one vote basis. Each
project is lead by a technical lead that is elected on a one author =
one vote basis. Those groups very much set the course and direction for
the projects.

So the technical direction of OpenStack as a whole, and the technical
direction of each project, is very much *not* pay-to-play. It's
participate-to-play.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Project Policy Board elected member