[OpenStack Foundation] [Openstack] Foundation Structure: An Alternative

Jim Jagielski jimjag at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 14:50:00 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Gil Yehuda <gyehuda at yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> Instead it appears to me that the primary issue driving the creation of a net-new foundation instead of using an existing one is that the existing ones would not provide the marketing and branding emphasis that the vendor participants are looking for in order to help fuel their commercial success.  Now, I'm all for that commercial success (even though the company I work for is not in the category of those vendors who plan on selling stuff here).  Make money, it's Ok.  But the way I see it, if that is really the need for the new organization, then perhaps, the community should simply focus on that part of the need -- a marketing-oriented trade association that is composed of the vendors, who promote conferences, business pacts, and various other promotional activities.  While the rest of us create great software using a well-know open source community model -- e.g. under the "Apache way", or Eclipse, or the Linux Foundation -- or whatever.  Let's not try to create something new, unless we can look at it and say "wow, that was really better."
>
> For me, this would help the group focus their money and attention on the marketing needs (should they see value there), and leverage the technical process and

It's sad that in this day and age, there are still entities that try
to put the cart before the horse.

If you get the open source part right, with a vibrant, healthy
community, then very little marketing/branding is needed to
commercialize it.

If, instead, one focuses on the commercialization aspects, then the
open source part will suffer and no amount of "branding" will make it
better... It would be like putting lipstick on a pig. Which is good, I
guess, if you sell pig lipstick....