[OpenStack Foundation] [Openstack] Individual Nominations for Foundation Board of Directors

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Jul 27 09:23:07 UTC 2012

Duncan McGreggor wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 1:15 PM, Stefano Maffulli <stefano at openstack.org> wrote:
>> Speaking of that process, it's broken and needs to be fixed ASAP, since
>> we'll have the PTL elections soon. The current nomination process,
>> especially, is broken: it requires way too much manual processing and
>> more than manipulation, it allows mistakes (like in the past election,
>> where I forgot to include one candidate to the list).
>>
>> This is how we ran it last time:
>> http://wiki.openstack.org/Governance/ElectionsSpring2012
>>
>> Want to help fix it?
>
> Yes!

This probably warrants a thread of its own, but here are the current
requirements for the upcoming PTL/TC election, per the Technical
Committee charter:

A Condorcet or a STV system should be used.

Sep 5: Deadline for candidacy to Core PTL positions
Sep 7-13: PTL election
Sep 19: Deadline for candidacy to TC directly-elected seats (3)
Sep 21-27: TC direct seats election

Note 1: elections are run staggered so that people who fail to get PTL
seats can decide to run for directly-elected seats (or not)

Note 2: the current charter proposes to remove the ability to "be
nominated": candidates just announce their candidacy. That way we don't
have to track whether each nominated candidate actually accepted to run
or not, and we can ask that all required information (email, bio,
affiliation, platform...) is provided by the candidate before the
election starts. Given that candidates could self-nominate in the past
and needed to confirm their participation anyway, that sounds like a
good way to reduce unnecessary complexity.

Note 3: I investigated two platforms we can use for the vote:
* http://www.opavote.org/
* http://www.cs.cornell.edu/w8/~andru/civs/
OPAvote has a few benefits (supports both Condorcet and STV, solves
ex-aequo cases), but requires pure ranking (you can't select multiple
candidates at the same rank).

Being already elected to the TC (and not planning to apply for a PTL
position), I'm available to serve as one of the election officials if
need be.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack