[OpenStack Foundation] Individual Nominations for Foundation Board of Directors

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Thu Jul 26 16:08:15 UTC 2012

Yeah, I'm not sure who nominated me, but it would be helpful to understand
a bit more about what is expected from a board member.  I found this via
google [http://wiki.openstack.org/Governance/Foundation/Structure], but is
there any more info?:

"The Board of Directors provides legal management of the Foundation and its
financial resources. The Board oversees Foundation operations, sets overall
budget and goals for Foundation staff, and hires the Executive Director.
Board members are also expected to advocate for the Foundation and the
entire OpenStack community."

I'd also advocate for there being some place nominees/candidates can write
a statement expressing why they want to be on the board of directors...
otherwise such a vote may just up as a personality contest or a company v.
company vote, neither of which is good for the community.

Thanks,

Dan

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 8:37 AM, Rick Clark <rick at openstack.org> wrote:

> Who is the election official, running this election.  Nomination should
> be an open process, similar to the core dev process.  It is currently
> closed and subject to manipulation.
>
> I would also suggest that if you are a candidate, you must not be
> managing the process.
>
> Rick
>

> On 07/25/2012 06:44 PM, Jonathan Bryce wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Last Wednesday we started accepting Individual Members for the OpenStack
> Foundation. We've had an excellent response so far with well over 1,000
> Individual Members joining in the first week. I wanted to share some
> important information about how to nominate and elect the Individual
> Members for the Board of Directors. The deadline to nominate Individual
> Directors--August 6--is coming very quickly.
> >
> > Directors elected by the Individual Members will make up 1/3 of the
> Board or 8 of the 24 seats. You must be an Individual Member to nominate,
> vote or run for an Individual Member position on the Board of Directors.
> You can become an Individual Member on our website:
> http://www.openstack.org/join/
> >
> > Elections for the Individual Directors will take place August 20-24. To
> vote in the initial Board election, you must join as an Individual Member
> by August 15. To appear on the ballot, an Individual Member must receive
> nominations from 10 other Individual Members. The deadline to nominate an
> Individual Member is August 6, and all nominations are submitted via email
> to secretary at openstack.org.
> >
> > We have created a basic page with initial nominees on it, and will be
> reaching out to nominees so they can add additional information about
> themselves. To see who is being nominated so you can support current
> nominees (who need 10 nominations) or recommend additional candidates, go
> http://www.openstack.org/community/openstack-foundation-board-2012-election-candidates/
> >
> > Let us know if you have any questions,
> >
> > Jonathan
> > 210-317-2438