[OpenStack Foundation] Technical Committee: new draft

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Jul 12 20:14:47 UTC 2012

Anne Gentle wrote:
> I'm reviewing this section with an eye towards a couple of concepts:
> ATCs should come to the Design Summit
> ATCs elect the TC
> ATCs elect the PTLs but only for projects on which they are ATCs.
> (Some projects don't have PTLs.)
>
> Here's the relevant paragraph that I'd propose revising for clarity
> and to further emphasize how non-programming contributors can become
> ATCs:
>
> Individual Members who committed a change to any of the official
> OpenStack projects (over which the TC has final authority) over the
> last two 6-month release cycles are automatically considered ATC.
> Specific contributors who did not have a change recently accepted in
> one of the OpenStack projects but nevertheless feel their contribution
> to the OpenStack project is technical in nature (bug triagers,
> technical documentation writers...) can exceptionally apply for ATC by
> sending an email to the TC chair.
>
> Needs definition: "official OpenStack projects"
>  are only those listed in http://github.com/openstack, right? Perhaps
> define that scope in this document?

The definition is at the top paragraph: "including core projects,
library projects, gating projects and supporting projects". Those
categories are all well-defined by the PPB. The only one that is still a
bit vague is the "supporting projects", which currently are openstack-ci
and openstack-manuals.

> If ATC-ness is defined by the projects listed in
> http://github.com/openstack, then any recently-added blogger on
> openstack-planet qualifies as an ATC, is this correct?

I think extra projects found their way there that do not fit in the
above definition. That includes openstack-planet, which is bound to
disappear very soon anyway.

> Also devstack is not listed in https://github.com/openstack/, are
> contributors to devstack not going to be ATCs?

devstack is a gating project (like tempest). So it is included.

> "apply for ATC by sending an email to the TC chair. " I recently went
> through the Python Software Foundation process to become a member, and
> I liked how the per-requisite is that you are nominated by an existing
> member. Could ATCs be nominated by others, not just self-applying?
> Also the TC chair should not be a bottle neck for this application
> process, can we define another process?

We could add a nomination process. But this is an exception procedure
for people feeling that their contribution is significant, technical,
but does not appear within our rules. So I fear that requiring
nominations defeats that purpose. For the bottleneck aspect, I don't
expect that many requests... It's really for people that slipped between
the cracks.

> Lastly, is it only bug triagers that are important enough to become
> ATCs? For docs, bug reporters are especially helpful - triaged doc
> bugs are more valuable of course, but without doc bugs being reported
> they'll never improve. It's possible that bug reporters are also bug
> fixers, I'm fortunate to have observed that in docs as well. But are
> we capturing those who test OpenStack and report bugs including
> security holes as ATCs?

It's just difficult to set a bar of bug reporting that constitutes a
significant contribution. The exception process should take care of that.

> My suggested revision is:
>
> Individual Members who committed a change to any of the official
> OpenStack projects listed at https://github.com/openstack/  over the
> last two 6-month release cycles are automatically considered ATC. The
> TC has final authority over the listing of projects. Specific
> contributors who did not have a change recently accepted in one of the
> OpenStack projects but nevertheless feel their contribution to the
> OpenStack project is technical in nature (bug triagers, technical
> documentation writers...) can exceptionally apply for ATC either by
> sending an email to the TC chair or by being nominated by an existing
> ATC via email to the TC chair.

Agree with most of it (except your definition of official openstack
project which does not match the PPB definition, see above). I'll
rewrite that part so that it's clearer.

Thanks!

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)