[OpenStack Foundation] Technical Committee: new draft

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Thu Jul 12 19:02:11 UTC 2012

I'm reviewing this section with an eye towards a couple of concepts:
ATCs should come to the Design Summit
ATCs elect the TC
ATCs elect the PTLs but only for projects on which they are ATCs.
(Some projects don't have PTLs.)

Here's the relevant paragraph that I'd propose revising for clarity
and to further emphasize how non-programming contributors can become
ATCs:

Individual Members who committed a change to any of the official
OpenStack projects (over which the TC has final authority) over the
last two 6-month release cycles are automatically considered ATC.
Specific contributors who did not have a change recently accepted in
one of the OpenStack projects but nevertheless feel their contribution
to the OpenStack project is technical in nature (bug triagers,
technical documentation writers...) can exceptionally apply for ATC by
sending an email to the TC chair.

Needs definition: "official OpenStack projects"
 are only those listed in http://github.com/openstack, right? Perhaps
define that scope in this document?

If ATC-ness is defined by the projects listed in
http://github.com/openstack, then any recently-added blogger on
openstack-planet qualifies as an ATC, is this correct?

Also devstack is not listed in https://github.com/openstack/, are
contributors to devstack not going to be ATCs?

"apply for ATC by sending an email to the TC chair. " I recently went
through the Python Software Foundation process to become a member, and
I liked how the per-requisite is that you are nominated by an existing
member. Could ATCs be nominated by others, not just self-applying?
Also the TC chair should not be a bottle neck for this application
process, can we define another process?

Lastly, is it only bug triagers that are important enough to become
ATCs? For docs, bug reporters are especially helpful - triaged doc
bugs are more valuable of course, but without doc bugs being reported
they'll never improve. It's possible that bug reporters are also bug
fixers, I'm fortunate to have observed that in docs as well. But are
we capturing those who test OpenStack and report bugs including
security holes as ATCs?

My suggested revision is:

Individual Members who committed a change to any of the official
OpenStack projects listed at https://github.com/openstack/  over the
last two 6-month release cycles are automatically considered ATC. The
TC has final authority over the listing of projects. Specific
contributors who did not have a change recently accepted in one of the
OpenStack projects but nevertheless feel their contribution to the
OpenStack project is technical in nature (bug triagers, technical
documentation writers...) can exceptionally apply for ATC either by
sending an email to the TC chair or by being nominated by an existing
ATC via email to the TC chair.

Again, the process for ATC nomination needs more detail to avoid a
bottle neck at the TC chair's inbox.

Thanks for the discussion.
Anne