[OpenStack Foundation] board chair == two votes -was- Re: Technical Committee: new draft

Lloyd Dewolf lloydostack at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 05:38:48 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Doug Davis <dug at us.ibm.com> wrote:
> Yes, its the tie situation that I'm preferring to.  To me either the vote
> reaches the threshold or it doesn't.  50% isn't the threshold so it fails.

I've thought on this for some days.

That does sound like a more natural system.

Is the expectation that the board would elect a Chairman of the Board?
Under what conditions would the board likely take that action? Pre-
Executive Director? Is it more likely to be used if the board shrinks?
Is it a safety switch? Is the board likely to elect the Executive
Director as the Chairman of the Board to enable the "CEO" to vote on
the board?

> There's also the interesting case where multiple people from the same
> company get to vote in the same ballot - I think its because the same
> company can have  both platinum (or gold - can't remember which right now)
> as well as individual members, and that's another sore point for me but
> I'll leave that for another day.  :-)  But its those kinds of rules that
> make things seem a lot more complicated than they need to be.  Once
> company, one vote is much easier.

Then would they really be Individual seats? I appreciate safeguarding
diversity by not allowing more than one individual from a company, but
I also don't like the idea of limiting who the membership can vote
for. In the context of the currently large board, and with the
possibility that most Gold member companies would not have a board
seat the current bylaws seem reasonable.

Thanks for the food for thought,
Lloyd
--
@lloyddewolf