[OpenStack Foundation] Technical Committee: new draft

Jonathan Bryce jbryce at rackspace.com
Thu Jul 5 19:07:34 UTC 2012

I think this is definitely something to watch over the long term. When we started out, we didn't have anything like the Project Technical Lead role. With the rapid growth in the size of the codebase and the number of contributors, having a point of coordination proved necessary, and I think most involved would agree that creating the PTL improved the communication and processes for the projects. The PTL job is certainly not glamourous and I don't think they wield it like a mini-dictator. The PTLs help out in many, many areas with cat-herding, summit planning, organization between the various projects, and with helping to drive discussions and decisions. They're also required to stand for election before every release (every 6 months), allowing for those who might abuse the position to be replaced fairly quickly. I think it would be a major change to something that has been working for a number of releases now and not necessarily beneficial at this late stage in the organization process.

This part of the structure is separate from the corporate governance and can be adjusted by the technical community and the Technical Committee going forward if needed. Keeping the role of the PTL in place through the Foundation set up has been in the plans since the first set of documents we published and that we've heard overwhelming support for to date. When we've had discussions about changes to the PTL role or the election cycle of PTLs, we've seen the vast majority prefer to keep in place what has been working. That said, the Technical Commitee will be empowered to explore the types of changes suggested here, so from the perspective of forming the Foundation (bylaws, etc) I think we are in good shape to move forward as these discussions continue.

Jonathan