[OpenStack Foundation] Linux Foundation as an inspiration

Cole Crawford Cole.Crawford at nebula.com
Sun Jan 15 00:52:27 UTC 2012

I figured I'd chime in here as the cloud advisor to the Linux Foundation.  The Linux foundation has recently launched The Foundation Labs<http://www.linuxfoundation.org/labs> which may or may not be known to any/all of you.

There are exactly 3 things that need talking about before we should even be discussing anything else.

  1.  The legal aspect of the foundation including laws and bylaws, non profit business structure etc.
  2.  The charter and mission of the foundation
  3.  How we get there

Making this thing any more complicated than discussing those 3 things first will just lengthen this process (which is already going to be lengthy). I have spoken to quite a few people post webinar and everything on ether pad<http://etherpad.openstack.org/foundation-webinar-2012-01-13> falls under 1 of the 3 above topics.

The structure(#3) for how to effectively communicate is still what's missing.  I love mailing lists as much as the next person but we all know that won't cut it.  Several organizations, including ours, are betting on the success of this project so getting it right is important.  VMWare and Amazon would love this to be where Openstack falls on it's face. Obviously no-one here should want that so lets work with Rackspace and the community to ensure Openstack's success.

Cole