[OpenStack Foundation] Strawman Foundation Structure

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Feb 9 09:10:32 UTC 2012

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Some discussions at FOSDEM prompted me to write up in detail my ideas
> for the ideal foundation structure:
>
>   http://wiki.openstack.org/StrawmanFoundationStructure

An interesting property of your proposal is in the "Hats" section. In
order to achieve its mission, it sounds very important to me that the
foundation works to the benefit of the OpenStack project, rather than
just be an political arena where different corporate interests compete.

The simplest structure to achieve that is to have a membership of
contributors and elect directors that must primarily wear a "project
hat", like in your proposal. Appointed directors from a membership of
corporate sponsors tend to naturally wear their "company hat".

Whatever the structure chosen, separating people wearing "company hats"
(to a specific Sponsor Advisory Board, or to specific seats on a
director board) sounds pretty essential.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack