[OpenStack Foundation] Foundation Mission Update

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Feb 8 11:15:35 UTC 2012

mark at openstack.org wrote:
> These changes were all incorporated and are included in the wiki: http://wiki.openstack.org/Governance/Foundation/Mission and you'll note that we removed the word "Draft", believing we are getting really close on this one and want to turn our attention to the big job of defining the structure. We can certainly continue to tweak the Mission, though.

I think it covers the key areas, and we can safely move to discussing
the structure best suited to achieve those goals.

Just noticed a typo:
"Responsibilties" -> "Responsibilities"

> One common theme was the desire to go back and adjust the original OpenStack Mission from July 2010.  We hadn't considered that a part of the exercise of defining the "Foundation Mission", but clearly it's on people's minds so I suggest we tackle that too as a separate work stream (Note that I removed it from the "Foundation Mission" page to keep it separate).  While many said that we should change it, there was not as much consensus about what the changes should be. Some people think it should explicitly be limited to infrastructure services, while others think it should be a broader vision that can be valid and stand the test of time. One approach may be to create a broad-based visionary mission that describes the general purpose of OpenStack and also include a short charter that sets out the specific focus of the community currently which can be reviewed and changed periodically.

I agree that the re-definition of the "OpenStack Mission" (which could
also be named "OpenStack Core software scope") might have trouble to
reach wide consensus, and therefore it might be preferable to wait for
the Foundation structure to be set up (including the new technical
board) so that we have a formal way to select between competing proposed
objectives.

Regards,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)