[OpenStack Foundation] Preliminary Election Results

Jonathan Bryce jbryce at rackspace.com
Sun Aug 26 21:54:47 UTC 2012

On Aug 26, 2012, at 1:09 PM, Dave Neary wrote:

> What other methods are Delaware approved?

My first instinct--and I know the preference of many of the company representatives involved--was to go with a method similar to what we've been using for the past couple of years for the technical elections (condorcet). However, non-profit governance has been a special focus area for the federal government and IRS in the US recently. As a new non-profit with a decent sized budget and no corporate governance track record, the consistent legal and accounting advice we received from several sources was that the Foundation should form initially with a broadly recognized election method. Cumulative voting is often used in corporations and was the suggested method. While not as common, STV is also used in some cases and may be an option for us to switch to in the future.

Jonathan