[OpenStack Foundation] Preliminary Election Results

Dave Neary dave at neary-consulting.com
Sun Aug 26 18:09:46 UTC 2012

Hi Joshua,

On 08/26/2012 07:56 PM, Joshua McKenty wrote:
> In order to comply with Delaware law, the Individual Members of the
> foundation board of directors had to be elected using a method that is
> approved under standard corporate governance. The closest we could get
> to the Condorcet method (which will continue to be used for the
> Technical Committee elections and the Project Technical Lead
> elections) is the Cumulative voting method, which is what resulted in
> the 8 votes per voter method.

What other methods are Delaware approved?

> The reason a number of the candidates who finished in the top 10 won't
> be seated on the board is due to the "Director Diversity" requirement
> in the bylaws - specifically, there can only be a maximum of two
> directors who are affiliated with any single corporate entity on the
> board at the same time. So Joseph George (Dell), Thierry Carrez and
> Anne Gentle (RAX) are all bumped, in favor of Rob Hirschfeld and Troy
> Toman, respectively.
>
> Hope that clears things up.

It does indeed, thank you Joshua.

It would have been very helpful to see the affiliations of candidates in
the election results.

In an unrelated, but slightly pointed, question: are there any plans to
do some kind of litmus test for new members joining the foundation in
the future? I wasn't sure whether my small level of activity merited
becoming a member, but when I saw that there was essentially no doorman,
I convinced myself I was worthy. Are there really over 2000 people
contributing to OpenStack at this point?

Cheers,
Dave.