[OpenStack Foundation] Nomination Process Updates

Eric Windisch eric at windisch.us
Thu Aug 2 02:45:28 UTC 2012

> Excluding corporate member employees
> from the individual member seats is such a reasonable step.

I disagree with this request. However, regardless of my opinion, at present, individual members are explicitly allowed to be employed with corporate members, so this this at least has a clear and agreed upon basis in the by-laws.

> With respect to the risk of one company dominating the board, that was raised during the process, and the conclusion reached was to add a 2 seat limit per affiliation out of the 24 total seats.
I don't think that this is enough. However, we have election monitors. That is a good thing, and it might be sufficient in this first round of elections. Maybe. Matt Joyce also made a good point that those in the Foundation should have an interest in OpenStack, above and beyond simply their organization's affiliation.

My point is that special attention should be given to any organization that consumes an unhealthy majority of the final votes and it may be appropriate for the monitors to consider disqualifying certain voters as potentially abusing the community code of conduct.  Until that vote happens, we should be mindful and prepared.

Per Appendix 6 of the Community Code of Conduct:

* Respect the election process.
Members should not attempt to manipulate election results.
Open debate is welcome, but vote trading, ballot stuffing and other forms of abuse are not acceptable.

--
Eric Windisch