[OpenStack Foundation] Nomination Process Updates

Lauren Sell lauren at openstack.org
Wed Aug 1 23:04:12 UTC 2012

I would also rather focus on defining what qualifies an individual member, and the type of people we want to make up the Foundation. I hope we attract active individual members from all disciplines (business, technical, academic, etc.) who are passionate about helping OpenStack succeed, and who take the responsibility seriously to elect the most qualified people to the Board of Directors. The challenge is that, outside of the technical realm with measured contributions of code or documentation, it's harder to draw lines.

One way to encourage self-selection could be to add more required fields and depth of information to the member profile, which will be made public. It would add some level of resistence with implied qualifications and just the time committment. I suspect people who are joining just to cast a vote for their corporate candidate or twitter friend will be less likely to do so if they are required to complete the profile and publicly disclose this information.

Thanks,
Lauren