[OpenStack Foundation] Nomination Process Updates

Benjamin Black b at b3k.us
Wed Aug 1 23:02:40 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com> wrote:
>> And if the answer is 'no' then its probably not an issue they care
>> that much about and its not those cases I think people are really
>> worried about.  In the end I just don't see the upside but plenty
>> of downside to allowing companies more than one vote at the board.
>
> I agree re: allowing companies more than one vote. I'm just saying
> please, please, please do not confuse a vote from me with a vote from my
> company. I'm fairly certain that I can provide years of corroboration
> for that.

The question there is not whether _you_, or any other specific person,
can be trusted to act independently of their employer.  The question
is whether permitting member company employees to hold individual
seats _in general_ will serve the community and the project over the
long-term.  In this I take a pretty liberal view of the democratic
process: I am much more trusting of the electorate and much less
trusting of the candidates.