[OpenStack Foundation] Nomination Process Updates

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Wed Aug 1 22:58:59 UTC 2012

On 08/01/2012 05:47 PM, Eric Windisch wrote:

>> That's, you know campaigning. It doesn't involve collusion to elect
>> a board of 8 other people. For them to send an email:
>
> Yes, I agree. I may not have been clear enough. My point was that
> collusion isn't even necessary for HP or Rackspace to benefit from
> their power of vote.

Fair point. I suppose I don't accept the assumption that Rackspace or HP
_have_ a power of vote. They only have employees, all of whom are free
to individually chose whoever they want to.

Now, that we may have blocks of fake people (even if they are real) so
that non-involved employees can be used to attempt to swing an election
in a particular manner is a theoretically troublesome issues.

However, it turns out that we're just talking about vote tampering, and
in a system where we have election monitors to validate the vote, that's
not that hard to deal with - especially in a voting system such as what
we're looking for.

Turns out, in any given population, one would expect an amount of
variance in the vote. If 350 from HP all ranked their top 8 candidates
exactly the same, I think a little bit of data mining would show that to
be the case. In our case, we happen to have some very smart (and very
pedantic) people working as election monitors. So I'm betting that they
will enjoy looking for such things.

It's also possible that I believe in strong free will more than other
people ...

Monty