[OpenStack Foundation] Nomination Process Updates

Doug Davis dug at us.ibm.com
Wed Aug 1 22:06:30 UTC 2012

IMO, if you work for a platinum/gold company they own you.  ;-)   No
matter how much freedom they give you they signed a CCLA and you're
contributing stuff on their behalf.  As far as I know on each commit you
don't specify whether its coming from your company or you - its all the
company's.  While some people may have more freedom than others, and some
people may be able to wear multiple hats better than others, in the end if
your company doesn't think you're representing their best interests I'm
sure they will take some corrective action.

So, let me ask this... what is lost by not allowing more than one person
from a company to have a seat?  Only thing I can see is that person won't
be able to cancel-out their company's other vote - which is probably a
good thing for both parties.  If the point of having such a large board is
to be inclusive I think allowing multiple people from the same company
gives the appearance of gaming the system with very little/no benefit.
Personally, I'm not really sure why we even let platinum/gold members be
"individual" members in the first place (aside to allow for the situation
causing angst in this thread) but that's probably a different thread.  :-)

thanks
-Doug
(919) 254-6905  |  IBM 444-6905  |  dug at us.ibm.com