[OpenStack Foundation] Nomination Process Updates

Benjamin Black b at b3k.us
Wed Aug 1 21:52:18 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-08-01 at 14:26 -0700, Benjamin Black wrote:
>> One of the growing pains of moving from a tightly-controlled project
>> run by a company to an open and inclusive one run by a foundation is
>> accepting that there are no longer any individual entitlements,
>> regardless of contribution.
>
> Say what? In order for the project to be open and inclusive, employed
> contributors must at all times represent their employer rather than
> themselves? I must be misunderstanding your point?

You are.  As part of being open and inclusive, major contributors to
the project must be prepared to not get the organizational leadership
positions they want or feel they deserve.  The elections for the
individual board seats is not a referendum on the contributions or
value to the project of the nominees and should not be turned into
one.  Similarly, being appointed to the board does not also make
someone a committer (and glad we all should be of that).