[OpenStack Foundation] Nomination Process Updates

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Wed Aug 1 21:04:28 UTC 2012

On 08/01/2012 03:48 PM, Soren Hansen wrote:
> 2012/8/1 Benjamin Black <b at b3k.us>:
>> Even further, why are employees of platinum and gold member companies
>> allows to run at all given that the point of the individual seats is
>> to expand representation to include those unable to pay to play?
>
> Just like my ramblings on the Internet are a manifestation of my own
> views and not those of my employer, the inverse holds true as well:
> Cisco does not represent me. I've worked for no less than three
> companies during my involvement with OpenStack. I have much more history
> with OpenStack than I do with Cisco. Why on Earth should I not be
> allowed to run for the board of directors?

I could not possibly agree more with Soren on this - and I think anyone
who knows either of us will attest that, from the moment we both started
working on helping set up this project we have both consistently acted
with the interests of the project in mind. I have regularly told both
Rackspace and HP that they are wrong in choices they have made, and I
have fought for what I personally believe is right for OpenStack as a
project. If I am elected to the board I can promise you that my actions
will have not be those of a puppet sat there to do as his employer tells
him - and I will expect that if I move companies again, I will not only
retain my seat, but I will retain my ability to be re-elected.

If anything, any Platinum member for whom I might be employed is getting
the short end of the stick, because without me as an employee, they
might be more able to put people on the board with more of a mind to
represent their business interests.

Monty