[OpenStack Foundation] Openstack Foundation in my mind

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 16:44:04 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Frans Thamura <frans at meruvian.org> wrote:
> hi all
> my mind of foundation for openstack, which i am work very close with JCP
> (Java), Eclipse, Apache
> i think OpenStack , which a lot of company support, more eclipse than apache
> or gnome.
> the development in eclipse , support corporate employee as member, which rep
> of the company, like oracle, ibm inside eclipse.
> they can submit proposal to eclipse as new project

I actually would prefer something on the opposite end of the spectrum
from the Eclipse Foundation.

Eclipse is almost entirely driven by tools vendors. OpenStack is not.
It's driven mostly by cloud deployers and services companies, not
vendors selling open (and closed) source widgets and tools around
cloud deployments. I think tools vendors tend to narrow the focus of a
foundation to the point of being overly commercialized and
self-serving versus foundations where users, integrators and
implementors drive the direction of innovation in the community.

But this is just my opinion, nothing more.
-jay