[Foundation Board] Thanks for electing Parallels/Odin as an OpenStack Gold member

James Bottomley jbottomley at odin.com
Thu Jun 4 21:03:17 UTC 2015

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to say hello to all the Gold members and Board of
OpenStack, and thank you for electing us.  We're looking forwards to
working with you all in open source and trying to bring our service
provider customers closer to OpenStack.

I thought it might also be opportune to explain the relationship between
Odin and Parallels, since most of you have seen the Odin signs on our
booth in Vancouver.  Odin is essentially a rebrand of the Service
Provider side of the business with the Consumer Products side (the one
that produces Desktop for Mac) keeping the Parallels brand.  The
corporate entity which houses us is still called Parallels, Inc.  The
reason for doing this is brand separation and the avoidance of brand
confusion. To illustrate the problem: at our booth in OpenStack Atlanta,
we ended up fielding a lot of desktop for Mac questions ... including a
couple about what on earth desktop for Mac had to do with OpenStack.  At
our booth in Vancouver, we didn't get any desktop for Mac questions at
all.

Finally, Parallels and now Odin have been on a fairly long journey in
Open Source.  The initial strong push began in 2011 where we were
instrumental in setting up the containers meeting at the Kernel summit
which lead to the unification of containers technology inside the Linux
Kernel.  The announcement that OpenVZ rather than being a throw it over
the wall release, will be a fully open source upstream product (with
open mailing lists, repositories and development processes):

http://lists.openvz.org/pipermail/announce/2015-June/000592.html

represents the completion of the first stage (of course, the journey
itself is never over).

Those of you who've been on a similar journey will recognise this means
that we're also embracing an open source business model for at least our
containers business.  And part of this embrace means that we're very
much interested in open source governance, because good governance is
essential to our open source business strategy, so we're looking
forwards to contributing in this area as well as stepping up our code
contributions.

Thanks again,

James