[Foundation Board] ATC status for translators

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Thu Jun 4 19:57:30 UTC 2015

Hello, everyone.

I noticed that the requested topics for the next board meeting [1]
includes "ATC recognition for contributors".  Based on some brief
discussion at the "high 5" chat at the end of the last summit, I suspect
this is related to people hearing concerns about providing ATC status
for translation contributors.

For more information about ATC status, see the TC charter [2].  In
particular:

> The work of project teams is performed under the oversight of the TC.
> Contributing to one of their associated code repositories grants you
> ATC status (see below). The TC has ultimate authority over which
> project teams are designated as official OpenStack projects.

> The TC seats are elected by the Active Technical Contributors
> (“ATC”), which are a subset of the Foundation Individual Members.
> Individual Members who committed a change to a repository under
> ‘’any’’ of the official OpenStack Project Teams (as defined above)
> over the last two 6-month release cycles are automatically considered
> ATC. Specific contributors who did not have a change recently
> accepted in one of the OpenStack projects but nevertheless feel their
> contribution to the OpenStack project is technical in nature (bug
> triagers, technical documentation writers...) can exceptionally apply
> for ATC either by sending an email to the TC chair or by being
> nominated by an existing ATC via email to the TC chair. Final
> approval on the exception is decided by the TC itself, and is valid
> one year (two elections).

We've had a mechanism to recognize extra types of contributions with ATC
status for a while, but I do not recall it ever being used for
translators.  However, the TC has now approved an internationalization team:

    https://review.openstack.org/#/c/184920/

In the commit message, it references how we will be able to pull stats
from the translation tool to get contributor info.  As an official
OpenStack project team, their contributions will be counted toward ATC
status going forward.

For a full list of official OpenStack project teams, see:

    http://governance.openstack.org/reference/projects/index.html

Are there any other ATC concerns that anyone would like to raise with
the TC?  If so, I'd be happy to chase those down.

Thanks,

[1]
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/July_28,_2015,_F2F_9am_-_5pm_central,_Location_Austin,_Texas
[2] http://governance.openstack.org/reference/charter.html