[openstack-community] Proposal: remove voting on speaking proposals for Barcelona Summit

Christopher Aedo doc at aedo.net
Fri May 20 12:38:00 UTC 2016

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 1:36 AM, Florian Haas <florian at hastexo.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 2:51 AM, Adam Lawson <alawson at aqorn.com> wrote:
>> I think the dynamic links and removing static links (of voting is preserved)
>> is awesome. I apparently missed that.
>>
>> Huge+1 from me on that idea.
>
> I think this is a good idea as well, with one minor detail though: as
> a community reviewer, I'd like to be able to give a talk just a
> cursory review, not immediately make a decision on how to grade or
> what to comment, and come back to it later. With static links that's
> easy: I can simply compile my own bookmark list. With dynamic/random
> links, the system would have to provide an alternative.
>
> So, rather than inventing a separate bookmark system, maybe make links
> static per-user? Meaning every logged-in user gets a different link
> for the same talk, but for that user the link doesn't change? That
> still keeps me from sharing the link to my own talk (or more
> precisely, make it useless — another user would simply get a 404 if
> they tried to open it), but allows me to compile my own bookmarks.
>
> Just an idea.

I want to give this idea a huge +1, it's a really good idea.  I'm
strongly in favor of removing the incentive to share direct links to
talks (even though I'm guilty of tweeting "vote for my talk!" more
than once).  Having individualized links like this would be very
helpful and sounds to me like it would be an elegant solution to at
least part of the problem we are trying to solve.

-Christopher