[openstack-community] Proposal: remove voting on speaking proposals for Barcelona Summit

Florian Haas florian at hastexo.com
Thu May 19 16:40:50 UTC 2016

On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 6:23 PM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
> On 2016-05-19 09:38:24 -0400 (-0400), Doug Hellmann wrote:
> [...]
>> I would rather we have a more public way of selecting track chairs
> [...]
>
> There's a separate demon hidden in that idea though. We don't (or
> didn't in the past AFAIK) publish the names of track chairs prior to
> conclusion of the talk selection process. The last thing I would
> want, as a track chair, is to suddenly be faced with hundreds or
> more E-mails from random speakers and their fans and coworkers
> asking me to please, please, pretty-please pick their proposal.

I think all track chairs, past and future, will join you in that sentiment.

But secret track chairs aren't an option either. I've always published
my track chair status. I was nagged on Twitter exactly once. I
publicly responded asking the person to please stop, and that I
thought their behavior left a less-than-professional impression. They
promptly stopped.

Cheers,
Florian