[openstack-community] Proposal: remove voting on speaking proposals for Barcelona Summit

Florian Haas florian at hastexo.com
Thu May 19 13:37:30 UTC 2016

On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 3:19 PM, Tristan Goode <tristan at aptira.com> wrote:
> So let me get this straight... You're proposing that only speakers vote for
> talks yeah?
>
> Because hey, fuck the audience right?

Firstly, no need to get all sweary.

Secondly, what the Foundation is proposing is that no-one gets to vote
anymore at all. I wonder what that means for the audience.

Thirdly, yes what I am proposing is effectively that speakers, *all*
prospective speakers, vote for talks. I believe a large group of
speakers, all of whom are strongly rooted in the community, in
aggregate is a better judge of talk quality for the Summit than both
an entire audience whose votes have no bearing on anything, and a
small group of hand-picked track chairs.

Fourthly, as I've tried to explain before, the review method I'm
advocating does _not_ allow reviewers/speakers to review carelessly,
or on a whim. In fact, it enforces that rather than thinking about
your own preference of what you would like to see and listen to, you
need to think along the lines of "what would everyone *else* be
interested in".

So no, no f*** the audience at all. Be the audience's advocate.

Cheers,
Florian