[openstack-community] Proposal: remove voting on speaking proposals for Barcelona Summit

Florian Haas florian at hastexo.com
Wed May 18 18:24:16 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 6:52 PM, Nick Chase <nchase at mirantis.com> wrote:

>> I, for one, am not fond of letting go of community involvement, for
>> concern of never getting it back.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Florian
>

> I think that's a fair point, and another reason to enable comments instead
> of votes.  People can not only feel involved but they will be making a more
> substantial contribution to the process.
>
> Granted, this may not solve the "spam" issue, though, as people will still
> be soliciting comments.  However it will be more clear that getting comments
> doesn't mean getting in, so there's less incentive.
>
> ---- Nick

So we currently have a fairly massive volume of submissions every
Summit. I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of J. Random Summit
Attendee here, right after the CfP closes. What would be my motivation
for commenting on a talk that I don't even know for sure will make it
into the schedule? Content suggestions like "could you please talk
about X as well" or "could you spend some time on Y" are great *after*
the talk is confirmed. But while it's still being considered, the
logical thing is to say something like "I'd love to see this" or "I'd
not attend this" — which is exactly what we have with voting, now.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Florian