[openstack-community] Proposal: remove voting on speaking proposals for Barcelona Summit

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed May 18 17:45:59 UTC 2016

On 2016-05-18 17:58:41 +0200 (+0200), Florian Haas wrote:
[...]
> I, for one, am not fond of letting go of community involvement, for
> concern of never getting it back.

Given that track chairs are volunteers from the community,
frequently rotated out, I don't see how getting rid of voting means
getting rid of community involvement. Other aspects of OpenStack
don't (or shouldn't) operate on mob rule; the people who step
forward to do the work are the ones who make the decisions.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing us have some platform to allow
members of the general community to provide constructive feedback to
prospective speakers _prior_ to starting the chairing process,
allowing them the opportunity to refine their abstracts based on
audience interest. Like code review, but for talk proposals. (Also,
a mechanism to provide feedback to speakers _after_ they've given
their presentations would be nifty.)
--
Jeremy Stanley