[openstack-community] Proposal: remove voting on speaking proposals for Barcelona Summit

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed May 18 17:11:21 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Nick Chase's message of 2016-05-18 11:57:54 -0400:

> On 5/18/2016 9:09 AM, Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> > Instead of votes, we may ask for written comments instead: I'd read
> > those if I were a track chair and undecided about a proposal.
> >
> > I'm not attached to votes per se: what I think we should keep is
> >
> > - the drums beating signaling the incoming summit: these bring visibility
> > - the openness: the fact that I can browse proposed talks is a valuable
> > thing as a speaker and one that sets apart OpenStack from other conferences
>
> I agree with Stef on all of this.  I think we should have the ability
> for people to leave comments on a proposal, which then also necessitates
> having all of the talks visible at some point.  Yes, there will likely
> be some spam management to be handled, but I think it's a small price to
> pay.

Given the amount of spam we deal with in our other tools, I think you're
underestimating the cost. See the -dev and -infra mailing lists for the
discussions of locking down (or shutting down) the wiki, for example.

A web form with a text box is only slightly more complicated to game
than a voting link.

The alternate voting system proposed is interesting, but looks a
bit complex to implement (especially given the rules for introducing
negative feedback based on apparent attempts to game the vote). It
may take us a while to build a system to support it, so I think we
want a solution we can put in place more quickly, even if we do
decide to try it out.

Other conferences I'm involved with have a small program committee
for each track. We did that for the Upstream Development track this
last time around (maybe other tracks also have multiple chairs, I
don't know). Having a group of informed people selecting talks based
on the quality of the proposal and the subject matter included
produced a track with good feedback from attendees. It seems like
that should be able to work for other tracks, too, as long as we
have a good balance in the chairs.

Doug