[openstack-community] Proposal: remove voting on speaking proposals for Barcelona Summit

Adam Lawson alawson at aqorn.com
Wed May 18 15:45:33 UTC 2016

> You submit a talk, you have a say in the overall program. Simple as
> that. Kind of like you submit patches, you have a say in the direction
> your project is taking.

The challenge there my friend is it incentivizes the community to submit
talks solely for the purpose of gaining influence within the selection
process. Kind of like submitting patches for spelling/punctuation in the
OpenStack documentation solely for the purpose gaining voting rights during
TC elections and ATC status -- hence free Summit pass.

No easy answers for sure. I'm not opinionated strongly either way but would
support testing the idea of eliminating voting in Barcelona to see how it
goes. I'm guessing that if it does not go well or have unexpected social
consequence, the Foundation will have ample opportunity to course-correct.

//adam

*Adam Lawson*

AQORN, Inc.
427 North Tatnall Street