[openstack-community] OpenStack Birthday Feedback

Tristan Goode tristan at aptira.com
Tue May 17 06:42:13 UTC 2016

They've always been a bit of a dud event here. I think because culturally
we are cynics and I've always thought having a birthday party for software
is up there with having one for your cat.

Speaker travel is not ideal because so many of the chatterboxes in
OpenStack work for multinationals and possibly don’t need it. Reversing
that to get more people TO speakers would be better. (ie use the money for
more summit travel support)

I agree that many new meetup groups can use a monetary kick along until
their sponsors pick up the ball.

Perhaps let's be creative. Put the $ can go towards something that
incentivises developing and emerging economies participation in OpenStack.
What about an annual birthday $500 scholarship/prize to folks that
writes/creates/proposes something awesome?

Cheers

Tristan