[openstack-community] OpenStack Birthday Feedback

Hieu LE hieulq19 at gmail.com
Tue May 17 04:02:27 UTC 2016

Hi all,

This is Vietnam OpenStack user group, and we have some feedback in annually
OpenStack birthday.

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 10:05 PM, Kendall Waters <kendall at openstack.org>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> For the past few years, the Foundation has contributed funding & graphics
> for "birthday parties" organized by official user groups around the world.
> It's something we have celebrated each year in July, and in 2015 we hit a
> pretty big milestone with the 5th birthday. We typically create and
> distribute graphics and a presentation, help promote the events and give
> qualifying groups $500 USD to supplement costs for food / space / etc.
>
> Since we passed the 5-year milestone, we wanted to start a discussion with
> user group leaders and the community to see how much value you find in the
> birthday parties. Are they an important tradition for your local community
> members, or should we redirect funding and efforts to other user group
> activities, such as sponsoring speaker travel?

Last year we held the birthday party in Vietnam 2 times (yes, 2 times). The
first birthday event was held with ~120 attenders [1] and the second one
(with cake [3] :)) was smaller with ~20 attenders [2].

We considered the birthday party as the event for widely broadcast of
OpenStack through each years. And for that reason, beside the officially
slide deck and birthday graphics, we think the swag kits or some videos of
OpenStack birthday parties all over the world are more helpful.

The funding is more than needed, but for some approved user groups (not yet
official) or some groups at small country (like ASEAN), I think this
funding is still needed for them, but smaller funds.

[1].
https://www.flickr.com/photos/133785583@N03/19465641241/in/pool-1574695@N22/
[2].
https://www.flickr.com/photos/133785583@N03/19273758430/in/pool-1574695@N22/
[3].
https://www.flickr.com/photos/133785583@N03/19465118091/in/pool-1574695@N22/

> We would love your feedback - are the OpenStack birthdays something that
> you would like the Foundation to continue supporting?

+1, this should be a great tradition and we should keep this party event
annually.

Cheers,
Hieu LE.